Blogging in Lisp


Feed Aggregator

Rendered on Wed, 27 May 2020 11:02:41 GMT  newer latest older 
Next udpate: Wed, 27 May 2020 11:30:00 GMT feeds

Elm-allo (WebRTC): need help for iOS

via Elm - Latest posts by @mattpiz Matthieu Pizenberg on Wed, 27 May 2020 10:05:23 GMT

Your analysis was quite on point. Actually the issue was somewhat iOS-related but not really. Most official WebRTC example use the onunmute event listener inside the ontrack event to only update the video stream when data is actually available. It turns out that onunmute event was never triggered on iOS devices. So adding the stream directly ontrack seemed to have solved that issue.

I didn’t thought of sending logs to the server, that could have helped indeed. However I’ve added logs to the interface in addition to errors. That helped too and was basically how I realized that the onunmute event was never triggered so here again, quite on spot!

This could be interesting indeed, I’ve added an issue about this.

Elm-allo: a WebRTC and Elm videoconference example

via Elm - Latest posts by @mattpiz Matthieu Pizenberg on Wed, 27 May 2020 09:52:27 GMT

Update (2020/05/27)

Most of the issues I’ve come across are now fixed. This should be working on recent iOS devices now. In case issues still arise, I’ve setup some logs and errors reporting directly visible in the UI. Logs are visible with a button on the top left corner, and errors with a button on the top right corner as in the following screenshots.

If you are using an up-to-date Firefox, Chrom(e/ium) or Safari 13 browser you can copy the content of the logs/errors directly by clicking on the “copy” button. This makes it easier to report potential issues.

Elm-allo (WebRTC): need help for iOS

via Elm - Latest posts by @marcw Marc Walter on Wed, 27 May 2020 08:20:11 GMT

Hello @mattpiz,
I don’t have any apple devices, but are you sure that you have a real error on iOS?
As the peer connection seems to be successfully established (non-iOS peer can see the iOS peer) it could be possible that only playing the video is prohibited by Safari.
You could try to display the video element controls and if the iOS peer can then see the other one after pressing “play” you know where you need to investigate further. Autoplay of video with audio is misused for annoying ads so the browsers try to block it.
A simple solution could be to call play() and then mute the video if it fails and try again.

At work we also had several problems integrating WebRTC conferencing into our elm app and your description seems like a problem we had with playing the received media stream.

I did not look at your code, but you could also send a message to the server when ontrack is triggered or the ICE connection state changes so you get a minimal logging experience in the server logs.

Another interesting thing would be to poll getStats() and send connection stats to the server (e.g. kbit/s or received frames are usually interesting)

Embedding Elm-Playground with Elm-UI

via Elm - Latest posts by @system system on Wed, 27 May 2020 04:43:54 GMT

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

New Date/Time Library: Interested?

via Elm - Latest posts by @cmditch Coury Ditch on Wed, 27 May 2020 03:16:47 GMT

Hey @fmech, thanks for contributing to the all things Time in Elm. I’m keen to look over your library, as our app uses date and times extensively.

Had you see @justinmimbs other libraries time-extra and date?

PS - @justinmimbs, if you’re seeing this, I cannot express how grateful I am for all the work you’ve put into dates, times and timezones. Thank you so much. If you give me a mailing address, I will 100% send you some beer, cake, a bouquet of obscure tropical carnivorous plants, whatever you’re into.

Is Elm fitting for me?

via Elm - Latest posts by @berend Berend de Boer on Tue, 26 May 2020 22:48:05 GMT

Start with elm create app, that gets the PWA basics done.

And I would say with Elm you can iterate very fast, as you don’t have to spend time debugging. Just like you I learned functional programming through Elm, and I’m very grateful to Evan for creating a language to make FP accessible.

Chat about elm/parser operators |. and |=

via Elm - Latest posts by @evancz Evan on Tue, 26 May 2020 21:35:19 GMT

I use elm/parser to parse Elm types for the package website, so you can take a look at how the operators look in that context:

I wrote this parser to meet the goal of parsing types fast enough that it’s not a problem on the package website, so I’m not sure how well it works as a learning resource. It seems alright looking over it, but I’d give more consideration if it was meant for learning!

Chat about elm/parser operators |. and |=

via Elm - Latest posts by @lydell Simon Lydell on Tue, 26 May 2020 20:15:39 GMT

That is a good point! I’d love to see an example of this in some package that uses elm/parser.

 newer latest older